prisoner.iana.org

From: Diver8 (diver_8_iamat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 07:28:04 PDT

    Hi -

    I've started noticing an entry in the event log on one
    of my Windows XP workstations.  I've tried finding
    information regarding this on google (have seen others
    with the problem, but no answers) & have also
    contacted iana (but have yet to hear anything from
    them).

    The box is trying to make DNS requests to
    'prisoner.iana.org'.  This is what I see in the event
    log:

    =========================
    Source:  LSASRV
    Category:  SPNEGO (Negotiator)

    The Security System could not establish a secured
    connection with the server DNS/prisoner.iana.org.  No
    authentication protocol was available.

    =========================

    Ipconfig on the box looks like this:

    Windows IP Configuration

            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : foo
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : foo.local
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : foo.local

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

            Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com
    EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Com
    plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    02-01-76-DE-2A-AD
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
    192.168.0.204
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
    255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    192.168.0.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
    192.168.0.3
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
    192.168.0.3
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday,
    September 08, 2002 10:01:05
    AM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday,
    September 08, 2002 1:01:05 P

    So far as I know, the LsaSrv process that is
    generating the error is tied to the protected storage
    service.  This is the service that stores personal
    passwords, etc on the windows machine.  Why would this
    need to query an outside dns server??

    Just curious if anyone knows what this is - trojan?
    spyware? simple microsoft bloat?  I've blackholed
    prisoner.iana.org (via lmhosts) on the local machine &
    have also blocked it on my firewall until I can figure
    out what this is.

    Thanks!