Re: Q328691 ?

From: Bronek Kozicki (brokat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 01:57:13 PDT

    Jason Coombs wrote:
    > A Google Groups search on gg.bat shows some more discussion on
    > microsoft.public newsgroups

    Thanks for links, now it's almost clear that the whole issue is just
    another worm. Every worm has its 0-day, when first victims are being
    infected - this time it hit close to Microsoft PSS clients.

    It's not news to me that NAV is late with virus definitions; the same
    happened with Klez. The only news I can see here is that Microsoft tried
    to do the job of AV companies, and they failed miserably. Reverse
    engineering and virus analysis is something that MS guys should learn
    about first, if they want to respond to virus threats in more resposible
    manner.

    On the other hand, Kyle Lai analysis posted on
    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion is really great.

    Of course, I can be wrong, but this analysis seems to fit almost
    perfectly. BTW: MSKB article was just updated, now it starts with : "The
    MIRC Trojan-Related Attack is not a security vulnerability. Instead, it
    is an intrusion that takes advantage of situations where standard
    precautionary measures have not been put in place". It appears that (one
    of - there might be more) infection vectors is brute-force attack on
    administrator account, using few very simple passwords (and few account
    names).

    Kind regards

    B.