RE: Interesting packets

From: Boyan Krosnov (bkrosnovat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 00:13:46 PDT

    Just a few notes.

    The log that you have provided is for an icmp->dest
    unreachable->prohibited message, which is usually an effect of acl
    blocking of the packets that you send. It may or may not be the case
    that you really sent those packets to 68.60.32.5
    (ns01.pntiac01.mi.comcast.net). Although I'd bet that you really did,
    and this icmp is because of the filter or other blocking mechanism
    installed on the machine that has the ip address 68.60.32.249 on one of
    it's interfaces(this is most probably a router of a firewall). The point
    of this paragraph is to remind you that IP is connectionless and
    stateless, and anybody on the internet may have sent this packet.

    Also note that there is no such thing as an UDP "connection". There are
    only UDP _packets_ (or datagrams) floating forth and back. UDP is
    connectionless and stateless as IP is (each protocol working over it has
    to provide statefull mechanisms, like keeping the port on one or both
    sides the same throughout the communication).
    So even if the ICMP is genuine you can't know if the packet from x.y.z.4
    to 68.60.32.5 (sport:17468 dport:8197) is the first in this
    communication or if there were packets in the opposite direction before
    it. And you can't know which of the two machines is initiating the
    communication. Also you can't know if the packet in question was sent by
    somebody else on the Internet with a spoofed source, or by your machine.

    BR,
    Boyan Krosnov, CCIE#8701
    http://boyan.ludost.net/
    Just another techie speaking for himself