Re: Huge Autoexec.bat

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 16:35:22 PDT

    "Matthew S Barnes" <btc1at_private> wrote:

    > Hi all we were working on a system the other day at a client's who called us
    > in to fix a downed domain controller, his system was blue screening and so
    > we got there and started poking around the system, we noticed something
    > weird and wanted to ask if anyone had seen it before. I hadnt ever ...
    > His autoexec.bat was huuge 26 megabytes to be exact. Now this computer was
    <<snip>>
    > The autoexec.bat file was full of script's and code and also some old emails
    > of his from years ago and we never got time to go thru the whole thing just
    > enuff to make me think it was a total compromise of his system.....

    from what you have said and without the benefit of seeing the file
    myself (and no -- please don't Email it to me!), the most likely
    reason for what you saw is file system corruption.  This also ties in
    with unexplained BSODs and so on.  It _may_ be indicatve of
    (impending) hardware failure.

    Further, you presented absolutely no evidence suggesting a "hack".

    Maybe the threat to not pay you for "wasting time" shows your client
    was wiser than you think...

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.