Re: Linux Slapper Worm and Linksys

From: Pavel Lozhkin (pavelat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 04:35:22 PDT

    I can't claim that the reason of that is *exactly* Slapper.....but
    linksys in firm where i'm part time security consultant has the same
    problem. It died yesterday and was replaced by CISCO (ohhh......good
    choice i guess) after IDS had detected Slapper scan.

    So that i can *CONFIRM* this

    Mike Lewinski wrote:
    > Unless the Linksys runs a service on tcp/443 (or udp/2002 perhaps), I
    > doubt it's the same problem.
    >
    > With the Cisco 675s, I believe their http implementation had it's own
    > overflows and was knocked out by the requests.
    >
    > In this case, it's more likely that the poor Linksys got crushed by the
    > load of scanning. An old 2518 we have still in service showed almost 90%
    > of available memory consumed by the worm. It also increased cpu
    > utilization from 3% to over 50%, and caused a noticeable increase in
    > interface errors on both LAN and WAN ports in another case.
    >
    > Mike

    Pavel
    ICQ UIN 39596913 8990192