Re: Linux Slapper Worm and Linksys

From: Mike Lewinski (mikeat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 09:30:29 PDT

    Unless the Linksys runs a service on tcp/443 (or udp/2002 perhaps), I
    doubt it's the same problem.

    With the Cisco 675s, I believe their http implementation had it's own
    overflows and was knocked out by the requests.

    In this case, it's more likely that the poor Linksys got crushed by the
    load of scanning. An old 2518 we have still in service showed almost 90%
    of available memory consumed by the worm. It also increased cpu
    utilization from 3% to over 50%, and caused a noticeable increase in
    interface errors on both LAN and WAN ports in another case.

    Mike