Re: new IIS worm? (rcp lsass.exe)

From: Lasse Sundström (ljsat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 11:20:24 PDT

    > Can anyone translate and shed a little more light on this?

    Sorry for my lousy Danish (I haven't studied it, but it's close enough to
    Swedish which is my second language) but here is a quick and dirty
    translation of the page contents (the words in quotes are direct
    translations to give you a feeling about the FUD/technical level of the document):

    A Windows program by the author of the Slapper Worm is used in attacks

    During the last few days eSec has registered a great increase in attacks
    against Danish web servers. A trojan "robot program" is planted on the web
    server during the attack which is based on a known security hole in
    Microsoft IIS.

    The program uses IRC to contact the "master" and enables the computer to be
    used as remotely controlled "zombie" in a network that is capable of
    producing a "horrible" DoS attack against others. The program is also
    able to fetch and execute new programs via HTTP.

    The program uses the following irc servers to communicate with the hacker
    in a specially crafted messages  in IRC chat.

    <The list of hosts omitted>

    The program is named lsass.exe which is a valid Windows program but the
    size of the trojan version is 9788 bytes.

    If the latest Microsoft cumulative hotfix has been applied, the server is
    not vulnerable to the attempt of sending this file to it.

    The program presents itself as
    Kaiten Win32 API version 2002 by contem@efnet

    The "Slapper Worm" which is currently attacking Apache is signed by the
    "contem@efnet" -- the same author or group. Something in the content of the
    program suggests that the author knows the German language.

    eSecs <statement,considerations>:

    This is yet another example of the trend that we have seen during the last
    six months. The compromised Web servers are used to distribute games, films,
    music etc. The web server continues to operate because the attackers do not
    paint graffitis on the home pages and reveal the compromise that way.

    --
    http://www.iki.fi/ljs