W2K Compromise - PipeCmdSrv

From: Philip (spamat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 19:49:44 PDT

    We had an Internet connected W2K computer compromised. I have
    found the files used to compromise it and wonder if they are
    part of a standard compromise/exploit.

    The first file installed during the compromise was an executable
    called PipeCmdSrv.exe in the folder WINNT/System32. This looks
    like a service executable which pipes input from a named pipe to
    cmd.exe (it was installed in the registry at LEGACY_PIPECMDSRV
    in the CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root key).

    Then a copy of WinVNC was installed in a new hidden folder called
    "truetype" in the WINNT/Fonts folder. WinVNC was installed as a
    Service called "systask" and was also in the Run key. (It had a
    blank icon, and thus wasn't visible in the System Tray).

    After VNC was installed, mIRC, iroffer and Serv-U FTP were also
    installed in quick succession - about 15 minutes.

    I cannot find any information about PipeCmdSrv.exe (I have a copy
    of it for inspection) but it seems to have been the first thing
    which was installed - how was it installed?

    Unfortunately the computer was not secure (installed by a vendor),
    had an easily guessable password, and had all the default settings
    of W2K SP2 (C$ share and remote access to the registry).

    Has anyone seen PipeCmdSrv before and is it installed as part of
    a known compromise?

    Thanks,

    Tim Philip.