Re: W2K Compromise - PipeCmdSrv

From: sfustonat_private
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 10:51:40 PDT

    Ok, well i dont usually do this, post any info ive collected but I am
    tryin to find information back as well. I too had an experience with the
    PipeCmdSvr, and im still not sure exactly how it came on my machine. I am
    running win2k Pro.

    I downloaded this program called MYIE, an overlay for the IE web browser.
    During some of my searches I kept getting chinese web sites in my tabs. I
    was just playing around with some of the settings and when i clicked on
    the Resource button a prompt came up that said "some sites may not work
    well without the chinese language pack installed" "Do you want to install
    the chinese language pack" . Well I did. I know I know, are you crazy man?
    lol At any rate, it proceeded to install something. Then I got a message
    from win2k saying that some files would be over written , did i want to
    continue. Well obviously I responded no, but it would not let me click no,
    the only way to gain access again to my desktop was to click yes, which i
    did. When my machine rebooted, it was much much slower than it had been.
    Subsequent reboots had this litte mirc window coming up on reboot, and
    while I had used mirc in the past, I had not reloaded since I had done a
    new install of Win2k.  Thats what got me interested , so I looked in Task
    Manager to see what was running, and thats when i ran across the
    Explored.exe program running. Now I am no programmer or a Windows guru ,
    but in 8 years of using windows software Im no novice either. That threw
    up a flag so i investigated farther. In doing a search for Explored.exe
    online I came up with the http://golcor.tripod.com/gtbot.htm site, and I
    was able to determine what i had, a trojan no less. Now I wanted to know
    how and where I got it. Obviously it had came from downloading the chinese
    language pack, but was it a MyIE program or did i have a bootlegged
    program. Well to make this long story short, I looked for other MyIE
    download sites and found one that I deemed to be safe and installed it. I
    cant get this one to ask me for the chinese language pack download, so i
    can only assume that I had gotten a hacked program to start with. Also the
    MyIE executable on the bogus file was 750k and on the last one i installed
    it was only 450 k. I am assuming thats how I got it. I did have a mirror
    that I made a week ago so just to be safe I put that back on after
    renaming all the infected files and moving them into a folder on another
    drive.

    I still wanted to investigate further, so I started looking inside some of
    the mirc files that goes along with this trojan. From some of the
    information gathered I found a "report to " location. Dalnet. Channel
    #Iamowned. I went there and there were about 12 nicks in the room with the
    Owned(#####) nicks , im guessing bots.

    When I reinstalled my mirror, I put Zone Alarm back on as I have a static
    ip and was a tad worried that someone had my ip number. Over the next
    couple of hours I got repeated hits (more than 30) from a site
    66.28.140.212, each time at differnt ports including telnet. In looking
    this up I found that this ip was registered to Cogent Communications. Not
    sure how Im going to proceed from here. This is the first time Ive been
    hacked in 9 years online.

    Im sure this trojan can be enabled in other ways, but just wanted to let
    you know that in this instance I think the MyIE was how it came to rest on
    my machine. Unless I have some big problems with it, I am going to
    continue to use this program as it is almost an identical user interface
    as opera but using the IE web browser shell.

    I did save all the files that was a part of the trojan program after
    renaming the extensions, and if anyone would like to have one or all of
    them I would be happy to send them on.