Re: Forensics CD (was: Re: Strange Folder

From: robjehat_private
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 05:06:38 PDT

    Its allso handy to have a Bootable Dos CD with NTFS for dos for
    editing/repairing files in dos, if you need the free version with w2k support
    just mail me and i'll upload my rescue disk with other utils included ( 14 MB ).

    > "Meritt James" <meritt_jamesat_private> wrote in response to me:
    >
    > [ ... Kit of tools on a CD-ROM ... ]
    >
    > >REAL good suggestion!  Any specific recommendations as to what should be
    > >on the CD?
    >
    > Thanks!  I think I picked up the idea from someone on this list, as a
    > matter of fact.  I wish I could remember who.
    >
    > Here's what I have on mine at the moment:
    >
    > bintext.exe	(http://www.foundstone.com)  Reads ASCII, unicode, and
    > 		resource strings in a binary.  The equivalent of 'strings'
    > 		in unix.
    >
    > fport.exe	(http://www.foundstone.com)  Reports open ports, PID of
    > 		the process listening on them, and the path to the
    > 		program.
    >
    > handle.exe	(http://www.sysinternals.com)  Reports what files are open
    > 		by what processes.
    >
    > listdlls.exe	(http://www.sysinternals.com)  List the DLLs that are open,
    > 		the path to the DLL, and the version number.
    >
    > netstat.exe	A copy of netstat from the W2K operating system.
    >
    > netstat95.exe	Another copy of netstat from the W95 operating system.
    >
    > patchit.exe	(http://www.foundstone.com)  Binary file byte-patching
    > 		program.
    >
    > procexp.exe	(http://www.sysinternals.com)  Shows what files, registry
    > 		keys, and other objects processes have open, along with
    > 		process ownership.
    >
    > regmon.exe	(http://www.sysinternals.com)  Monitors registry activity
    > 		in real time.
    >
    > showin.exe	(http://www.foundstone.com)  Shows information about hidden
    > 		or disabled windows that exist on the desktop.  ( I had
    > 		no idea .... )
    >
    > tcpview.exe	(http://www.sysinternals.com)  Shows all TCP and UDP end-
    > 		points.  On WinNT and above it shows what process owns the
    > 		endpoint.
    >
    > I've borrowed much of the wording in these descriptions from the respective
    > websites, but I don't think they'll mind since I'm bragging about their
    > stuff.  It's all free, by the way, and I'm just a satisfied user.  ;-)
    >
    > There's a lot more than this available, but some of it is OS-specific and
    > may not be useful to you.  Personally, I'd put just about anything on my
    > forensics CD that I thought might ever be useful to me.  One word of
    > advice,
    > though:  Most of us probably don't do forensics as our day job, and some
    > time may pass between making the disk and using it.  I therefore set up
    > a convenient 'bin' directory with all the executables on mine, and put all
    > the raw stuff, readmes, etc., in separate directories named for each
    > utility.
    > That way remembering what each one is good for and where I got it isn't so
    > difficult.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
    > Research Associate/Sysop
    > Geology Department
    > Northern Illinois University
    > DeKalb, Illinois
    > 60115

    Nieuw: Wanadoo ADSL Lite voor 27,95 euro per maand!

    Meer informatie: http://www.wanadoo.nl/adsl