Re: Why can I see other traffic at switch environment just tcpdump?

From: Kelly Martin (kmartinat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 20:37:47 PDT

    SB CH wrote:

    > Hello, all
    >
    > I have operated linux server at switch environment,
    > and just with tcpdump, I can see some other traffic whic is not related
    > with me without any other tool or trick.
    >
    > it means that I can sniff traffic without special sniffing tool at the
    > switch , right? is it possible?
    > but it's ture.

    Switches do not guarantee that all traffic will be sent point-to-point
    only.  If the switch does not know (for whatever reason) which of its
    ports is hosting a given destination MAC address, it will generally
    flood that frame to all ports.  On a very busy (especially on a switch
    on a large LAN), this may happen quite frequently, and can be forced on
    virtually any switch (not specifically configured for port security) by
    the use of cache poisoning techniques.

    Switches should not be relied on as a security mechanism unless the
    switch specifically has (and has been configured to use) port security
    by the use of static assignment of MAC addresses to ports.

    Kelly