VS: Why can I see other traffic at switch environment just tcpdump?

From: Toni Heinonen (Toni.Heinonenat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 01:30:32 PDT

    > Switches should not be relied on as a security mechanism
    > unless the switch specifically has (and has been configured
    > to use) port security by the use of static assignment of MAC
    > addresses to ports.

    And rarely even then, as you can simply connect your computer with a
    cross-linked cable to a legal workstation, sniff the MAC address, and
    configure that to be your addy. If you get physical access to the
    network, you most likely can do this, too.

    We can never get perfect security, but we can raise the bar. At least
    now we've made the passive eavesdropper active, so s/he can be detected,
    at least a lot easier than a regular eavesdropper.

    I'd recommend a good PKI.

    > Kelly

    Warm regards,
    --