Re: Why can I see other traffic at switch environment just tcpdump?

From: Darryl Luff (dluffat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 00:26:44 PDT

    SB CH wrote:

    > I have operated linux server at switch environment,
    > and just with tcpdump, I can see some other traffic whic is not
    > related with me without any other tool or trick.
    >
    > it means that I can sniff traffic without special sniffing tool at the
    > switch , right? is it possible?
    > but it's ture.

    Without the use of special tools (hunt etc) switches will send traffic
    to ports the destination is NOT on in a few different circumstances.
    - You're on a monitor port that has been set to receive copies of other
    traffic (so you'll receive all traffic to/from ports that are being
    monitored),
    - The switch doesn't know which port a destination device is on so it
    sends (floods) the packet out all ports (so you should only see the
    first couple of packets in a connection),
    - The bridging table of the switch is full so it gives up and floods the
    traffic (so your reception could be unreliable).
    - Changing spanning tree topologies.
    - All switches seem to leak a bit so you do see the odd packet you
    shouldn't. Probably more likely if it's busy???

    and probably others. Switches filter traffic for performance reasons,
    any security benefits are a (very) small unreliable bonus.

    > for example,
    > # tcpdump port 80
    > 15:03:42.681171 eth0 P 211.47.130.114.1131 > 211.47.1.55.www: S my
    > system has no relations with 211.47.130.114 or 211.47.1.55.
    > just switch connected together with 211.47.1.55.

    Darryl Luff
    dluffat_private