RE: Source of Windows PopUp SPAM

From: Lawrence Baldwin (baldwinLat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 09:29:49 PDT

    After further investigation, it appears that the hosts sourcing this SPAM
    are running VMWARE.

    We've identified a commercial, Windows-based SPAM package which sends SPAM
    via popups (all for $699).
    I've confirmed that this particular package (which I can't name, yet..)
    sends popups via MS RPC.
    I suspect this package is running on these Linux systems under VMWARE
    emulated Windows sessions.

    What is also interesting is that some users, despite running personal
    firewalls, are still reporting getting these popups.  This probably explains
    the developers choice to use MS RPC (udp/135) for delivery instead of a
    straight Netbios SMB call (tcp/139).  MS RPC would be less overhead, but
    also has the potential to reach more people as even those with firewalls are
    often giving 'svchost.exe' server priviledges because they assume it's
    necessary:

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4718327~root=security,1~mode=flat

    Lawrence Baldwin
    myNetWatchman.com