...continuing saga of Windows Messenger SPAM, was re: (blank)

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 17:57:58 PDT

    Couple followup notes that may be of interest.

    1) From the DirectAdvertisor test page, the first packet is sent to
       UDP-135 whether or not other ports are open. I took out the
       router filters blocking 137-139,445 and the initial packet was
       still sent to UDP-135. There was speculation on my part that the
       way the messages were sent depended on what ports were available.
       I haven't tested the demo version to see if its the same.

    2) After the intial packet to UDP-135, which looks as though contains
       the message data, there is a back and forth exchange on high UDP
       ports that Ethreal labels an RPC "who are you" conversation.

    3) Using the information in "Using DCOM with Firewalls", I added the
       following registry entry:

       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/RPC/Internet/PortsInternetAvailable

       and set its value to "N" (without the quotes). After doing so,
       the DirectAdvertisor demo page was not able to send me a message.

       This may be an alternative to shutting down the Messenger service
       altogether if that causes local problems. I've seen some people say
       it might be used for things like spooler messages.

       Of course, if the Messenger service functionality is desired from
       remote systems, access will have to be controlled via an external
       device like a firewall or they'll have to live with abuse. Perhaps
       Microsoft will offer a patch that will allow the service to be
       configured with the list of allowed IP addresses that can use the
       service. And perhaps set the default so that only addresses on the
       local network (as defined by the computer's IP address and subnet
       mask) can access the Messenger service. Or disable the Messenger
       service network access altogether by default.

    4) I tried removed the following registry entries and rebooting the
       computer but the message was still received. I was hoping removing
       the UDP affiliated one would prevent the problem without having
       to stop the Messenger service:

       HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/RPC/ClientProtocols/

         ncadg_ip_udp
         ncacn_ip_tcp
         ncacn_http
         ncacn_np

    5) I'm monitoring both UDP and TCP network traffic now to see if there
       are any other uses for UDP-135. I had thought previously everything
       used 135-TCP. If so, maybe UDP-135 can be blocked without affecting
       other services. However, if Messenger can also be contacted on
       the TCP port....

    6) Does anyone have any resources indicating what applications may
       break if the Messenger service is shut down? If it isn't accessible
       via IP?

    All tests performed on XP Home.

    Useful RPC References:

    Microsoft RPC