RE: Source of Windows PopUp SPAM

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 17:06:43 PDT

    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,55795,00.html

    Yeah, I saw that.  ;-)

    > Also, I ran a packet trace on how the product
    > generating these popups is
    > working...the popup appears to be delivered as a
    > single UDP/135 packet...

    Interesting.  I've done some testing in my lab.

    I ran a test tonight using the 'net send' command.  It
    looked like this:

    c:\>net send 10.1.1.10 This is a test

    The capture looked like this:
    1.  UDP137 Netbios name query
    2.  TCP connection setup (1247 -> 139)
    3.  Actual text ("This is a test") appeared in a
    single TCP packet (1247 -> 139).

    This also appeared to be the case in my
    proof-of-concept Perl code that launched the
    NetMessageBufferSend() API code.

    I'll have to download the DA demo and see how that
    works.

    > I understand that the .exe involved may be
    > 'svchost.exe' or
    > 'services.exe'...depending on OS and version.

    On 2K, it's definitely service.exe.  I don't have an
    XP machine to query, but I checked on the Net and
    found both.  However, MS says service.exe in KB
    article Q314056 (applies to XP Pro).  Also,
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/messenger.htm says
    "services.exe", as well.

    I'd be interested in seeing what OS versions have the
    Messenger service running under svchost.exe, and which
    ones have it running under services.exe.

    Carv