RE: Source of Windows PopUp SPAM

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 05:13:01 PDT

    Of the articles to be published so far, this one is
    perhaps the most misleading one I've read so far.

    It would seem Mr. Rose didn't even bother to read some
    of the messages that were posted w/ regards to this
    messenger spam...or he's simply focusing on a single
    aspect of it.

    Many of the posts to this list have clearly shown that
    this "messenger spam" is not, in fact, coming in over
    TCP port 139 (as works w/ 'net send' and the use of
    the NetMessageBufferSend() API)...rather, it's coming
    in over DCOM/RPC, and is initiated w/ a UDP query to
    port 135, the portmapper.

    By focusing on TCP port 139 in this instance, Mr.
    Rose's readers will certainly prevent the traditional,
    'net send' methods of spamming from working...however,
    blocking that port will do nothing to protect the
    readers from tools such as is available from
    DirectAdvertiser.com.

    Carv

    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3374542,00.html

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4718327~root=security,1~mode=flat