RE: Source of Windows PopUp SPAM

From: Rob Keown (Keownat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 16:00:10 PDT

    Here is another article:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,24330,3374542,00.html

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Ron Trenka [mailto:ronat_private]
    Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 10:40 AM
    To: incidentsat_private
    Subject: Re: Source of Windows PopUp SPAM

    on 10/15/02 12:29 PM, Lawrence Baldwin at baldwinLat_private wrote:

    > We've identified a commercial, Windows-based SPAM package which sends SPAM
    > via popups (all for $699).
    > I've confirmed that this particular package (which I can't name, yet..)
    > sends popups via MS RPC.
    > I suspect this package is running on these Linux systems under VMWARE
    > emulated Windows sessions.
    >
    > What is also interesting is that some users, despite running personal
    > firewalls, are still reporting getting these popups.  This probably
    explains
    > the developers choice to use MS RPC (udp/135) for delivery instead of a
    > straight Netbios SMB call (tcp/139).  MS RPC would be less overhead, but
    > also has the potential to reach more people as even those with firewalls
    are
    > often giving 'svchost.exe' server priviledges because they assume it's
    > necessary:
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,4718327~root=security,1~mode=flat

    Anyone have a way to disable this on W2K and NT 4.0 servers?

    * Ron Trenka              | "You do not need a parachute  *
    * Zowie Digital Media     | to skydive.  You only need a  *
    * www.zowiedigital.com    | parachute to skydive twice."  *
    * ronat_private    |          www.DarwinAwards.com *
    * (212) 627-4991 x22      |                               *