Re: apache problem

From: Stephen Smoogen (smoogenat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 13:02:53 PDT

    Here is how I understand it:

    Red Hat supports 3 versions of their boxed OS with security fixes at
    this time: Red Hat Linux 6.2, Red Hat Linux 7.3, and Red Hat Linux 8.0.
    They will do security fixes which would be to apache-1.3.2? for 6.2 and
    7.3 and for 8.0 it would be 2.x.

    Red Hat rarely gives out for code revisions for security problems but
    insteads does back ports of code fixes for most vulnerabilities (so they
    would patch say 1.3.23 with the security fixes from 1.3.27 versus
    putting out a 1.3.27). The general reason is that it is easier to audit
    the code that way, and to also make sure that various ABI/API changes
    that might have occured between versions do not affect customers.

    The rare case where Red Hat would send out a completely new version
    would be where the fixes break ABI/API or are so invasive that one might
    as well release the newer version (plus all the needed fixes for other
    mod_* items).

    Going forward, Red Hat will be focusing on the apache 2.x series for
    their 8.0 and beyond Linux releases.

    --
    Stephen John Smoogen		smoogenat_private
    Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-2 B-Schedule  PH: