Re: DoS and Windows Login

From: Brad Arlt (arltat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 18:40:04 PDT

    On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 02:16:34PM -0700, Nicholas C. Weaver wrote:
    > UC Berkeley runs a fairly open network (*GASP*, no firewall).
    >
    > Lately, many users have been experiencing a minor but annoying DOS
    > attack: The windows system's authentication procedures, after X failed
    > password tries, locks out the account for 30 minutes.  Someone or some
    > group is doing large scale password guessing which is resulting in
    > many users being unable to log in in the morning, until this timeout
    > passes.
    >
    > Question:  Have those in other universities or other generally open
    > computing environments noticed a similar trend?  Is this the work of
    > an attacker trying to brute-force passwords or a deliberate DOS
    > attempt?

    There has been quite the rash of it on my campus.  From what I have
    seen it is "only" trying to brute-force the passwords.  A few of our
    machines with "unchallanging" Administrator passwords have been turned
    into DVD movie servers.

    That lock-outs happen is a side effect.  Possibly an amussing side
    effect (from the crackers point of view), but a side effect non the
    less.
       __o		Bradley Arlt			Security Team Lead
     _ \<_		arltat_private		University Of Calgary
    (_)/(_) 	I should be biking right now.	Computer Science