Re: unusual packet (tcpdump shows): rad-#0 41 [id 0] Attr[

From: Ryan Yagatich (ryanyat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 09:26:50 PDT

    Mr man,
    	I'm not certain about the 'Term_action', for I have not seen that
    before, however what I have seen is that on UDP port 1812 there are
    attempts to communicate with hosts that have been compromised by the
    openssl worm (i believe the 'cinik' variant).
    	If you haven't been keeping up on the thread, the worm is
    targetting openssl servers (like apache+ssl) and after the compromise
    files are left in /tmp named phrases like '.cinik', '.bugtraq.c', '.ink',
    and so on. A key element in identifying these files are that they are
    owned by the user that is running the webserver (i.e. nobody) and that
    usually you will find a binary or its source hanging around as well
    (.cinik.go, .cinik.c, .cinik, .cinik.uu) and .font-unix/.cinik. You may
    also want to checkout /var/spool/cron/nobody and verify that its not
    calling the worm as well.
    	This could, however, be legit traffic. for example NAS listens and
    receives TCP auth requests over port 1812. So, the question for this is:
    are you running a radius server / have you ever run a radius server.
    	Hope this steers you in the right direction, if not just ignore
    me.

    Thanks,
    Ryan Yagatich  <supportat_private>
            Pantek, Incorporated