Re: DOS ATTACK

From: Richard Archer (rhaat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 23:39:24 PST

    At 23:59 -0500 27/10/02, Hunt, Jim wrote:

    >I have a friend that has a DOS Attack going on against their website.
    >It is being done by someone with a very popular website trying to
    >squash a little guy.  He is doing it be placing 1 pixel by 1 pixel
    >inline frames in his webpages and having them load my friends webpage.
    >It is killing his server and bandwidth.

    Well, we've seen some completely clueless responses to this one,
    but some good ideas are flowing now.

    Here's another.

    Add some Javascript to your page to break out of the frame.
    Add this to the pages he's linking to, and every hit on
    his site will effectively load your friend's. If these guys
    are competitors, all his traffic will finish up at your
    friend's site... a *very* nice boon to business.

    And the good thing about this is that it's a very standard
    technique on the web, and he won't be able to sue you for
    defamation, unlike some of the other suggestions we've seen.

    The javascript runs something like:

    if (parent.frames.length > 0) {
        parent.location.href = self.document.location;
    }

    This effectively runs recursively until your page is in the
    top frame of the window.

    The other option is to hire some solicitors with big feet to
    go stomp on him. There are several cases I've heard of where
    sub-framing someone else's content has been upheld as a
    copyright violation.

    Perhaps run the Javascript until all his clients have seen
    your site, then send the lowyers after him. I think that's
    what I'd do.

     ...Richard.