Re: DOS ATTACK

From: Micheal Patterson (michealat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 23:20:29 PST

    There is something else that can possibly be done to keep the server itself
    from overloading.. Under IIS's properties for the web site, there is an
    otion to limit the number of concurrent connections. If your friend can
    determine the actual number of hits that he normally gets, and it's lower
    than what he's getting now, drop the concurrent connection limit under the
    "Web Site" tab of the site in question to something more realistic. It
    defaults to Unlimited as I recall. This won't keep the pipe from filling up,
    but it should help keep the server from killing itself. In the meantime,
    collect any evidence that you have regarding the source site causing the
    attack and report them.

    --

    Micheal Patterson
    Network Administration