Re: 030 igetnet ignkeywords

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 00:56:00 PST

    "Waitman C. Gobble" <waitmanat_private> wrote:

    > I have found more information regarding my original 030.com post.
    >
    > The machine that is infected is running Windows XP Professional with all
    > service packs and hotfixes.
    >
    > Additionally, it is running Norton Antivirus 2003 with the latest
    > database, and the machine checks clean.
    >
    > There is a file running on boot:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\WinStart.exe (the date of this file is November 11, 2002)
    >
    > The file properties indicate that it originates from IGetNet, LLC. The
    > whois information shows that this is the owner of ignkeywords.com

    Seems as if either the user has cluelessly agreed to installing the
    "IGetNet (IGN) Keywords" browser "extension" (which locates sites
    registered to "keywords' at IGetNet by typing those keywords into the
    "location" or "address" bar of their browser) or some site silently
    installs the same via some browser security flaw (the IGetNet
    keywords extension installer is utterly silent once you accept the
    signed ActiveX control anyway -- I did not try the
    Netscape-compatible version the website alleges exists).

    When run, the IE version copies the main EXE to %windir%\system (yes,
    even on NT-based OSes) and also unpacks BHO.DLL and RSP.DLL to that
    directory.  It also sets a registry value named WinStart under
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run to run
    "<path>WinStart.exe -boot", which ensures the DLLs are unpacked (and
    replaced) at each system startup.  It also adds the following domain
    redirects to your system's HOSTS file:

    216.177.73.139   auto.search.msn.com
    216.177.73.139   search.netscape.com
    216.177.73.139   ieautosearch

    This "utility" does not add "uninstall" information to the registry,
    so cannot be uninstaleld through the usual means.  An uninstaller is
    available from the download page of IGetNet's web site, should you
    trust them to properly uninstall the beast:

       http://igetnet.com/iGetNet_IGNDownloads.html

    This seems to leave one of the DLLs but removes the other, the HOSTS
    entries and WinStart.exe.

    > Also, this file exists: C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\WINSTART.EXE-2C11637C.pf.

    Not sure about that -- didn't see it myself, but then I only let it
    run for a few minutes...

    > The machine now seems to go to ignkeywords.com, however sometimes it
    > goes to 030.com, which is what we originally observed.

    The IGN Keywords product depends on a registration database which I
    guess is centrally maintained, so it has to report keyword attempts
    to the server to get the correct URL to redirect the browser to.
    Aside from that, ignkeywords.com is 216.177.73.139.

    > The WinStart file is labelled as a "Browser Upgrade" in the file
    > properties thingy.

    I guess "upgrade" is a relative term...

    --
    Nick FitzGerald