Re: 030 igetnet ignkeywords

From: J. Foobar (jfoobar1at_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 02:39:17 PST

    I have recently detected a few internal machines being
    solicited to download a file called
    "Internet.Explorer.Browser.Security.Upgrade.exe"

    I perform a parse of proxy logs looking for .exe
    downloads by users in my enterprise periodically
    (maybe 3 times a week) and I have just noticed this
    for the first time a few days ago in the 3-4 months I
    have been doing this.

    I have a close look at the traffic of the one internal
    dolt stupid enough to actually download the file.  He
    was surfing animatedgif.com, which is pop-up and
    cookie hell, and was probably solicited to download
    this by the IP 216.40.225.62, which serves some sort
    of "Keyword Tracking" function and is an IP assigned
    to Everyones Internet, Inc (ev1.net, Texas).

    I wonder if they are related, at least conceptually.

    I have not yet had a chance to examine the end user's
    machine and I do not yet know if he was silly enough
    to actually run the .exe.

    Regards,
    Justin