Re: 030 igetnet ignkeywords

From: Waitman C. Gobble (waitmanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 06:34:57 PST

    Hello

    Couple of things to note. The file is signed by IGetNet, LLC using a
    Verisign cert. I suppose that signed applications are always
    trustworthy?

    I realize the obvious painful answer is that it was installed by
    clicking on a link on a web site, and allowing it to install HOWEVER -
    everyone I have heard from has NO recollection of doing such a thing.

    IMO This thing behaves like a sticky virus, it mysteriously gets
    installed on the machine, and seems to be difficult to remove. Chris
    Wagner kindly posted a link on this ng to removal instructions that seem
    to work, however one person telephoned me last night and indicated that
    the conditions persist even after following the instructions.

    I haven't heard anyone making the claim that the "browser upgrade" from
    IGetNet is useful, in fact everyone I have heard from is upset about it
    and from wants it permanently removed from their system as quickly as
    possible.

    It brings to my mind the term "viral marketing".

    In my opinion IGetNet wants to come into the picture, apparently through
    the back door, as a replacement for RealNames. I am not sure that
    enough, if any, people would actually buy keywords from them. After
    losing close to $1200 US when RealNames got its plug pulled, I wouldn't
    touch IGetNet with a ten foot pole.

    I have a hunch that this is coming in through a program that does
    unattended (or attended for that matter) automatic updates, or a program
    that routinely gets stuff off the Internet, like a music player.

    Additionally, I imagine any day now the phone will start ringing off the
    hook from our clients that have mysteriously contracted the virus and
    seek removal.

    My guess is that this is the tip of the iceberg - bigger better faster
    harder is certain to come.

    Best,

    Waitman Gobble
    EMK Design