RE: Unicode Attack (FOLLOW UP)

From: Jeremy Junginger (jjungingerat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 09:52:37 PST

    Follow up:

    The attacking host at 210.201.100.253 is a Windows 2000 Chinese Server,
    trojaned with RemoteNC running on port 5700 (which is password
    protected).  He is also running "X-FTP" which allows anonymous
    downloading as well as posting (d'oh).  It seems reasonable to assume
    that this host is being controlled by a malicious entity that is using
    it to fire off automated scripts.  Also an intersting note is the
    following:

    Search results for: 210.201.100.253

    OrgName:    Asia Pacific Network Information Centre
    OrgID:      APNIC

    NetRange:   210.0.0.0 - 211.255.255.255
    CIDR:       210.0.0.0/7
    NetName:    APNIC-CIDR-BLK2
    NetHandle:  NET-210-0-0-0-1
    Parent:
    NetType:    Allocated to APNIC
    NameServer: ns1.apnic.net
    NameServer: ns3.apnic.net
    NameServer: ns.ripe.net
    NameServer: rs2.arin.net
    NameServer: dns1.telstra.net
    Comment:    This IP address range is not registered in the ARIN
    database.
                For details, refer to the APNIC Whois Database via
                WHOIS.APNIC.NET or http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois2.pl
                ** IMPORTANT NOTE: APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry
                for the Asia Pacific region. APNIC does not operate networks
                using this IP address range and is not able to investigate
                spam or abuse reports relating to these addresses. For more
                help, refer to http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse

    RegDate:    1996-07-01
    Updated:    2002-09-11

    OrgTechHandle: SA90-ARIN
    OrgTechName:   System Administrator, System
    OrgTechPhone:  +61 7 3858 3100
    OrgTechEmail:

    # ARIN Whois database, last updated 2002-11-12 19:05
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's Whois database.

    Interesting how they "are not able to investigate SPAM or abuse reports
    relating to these ranges."  Looks like a perfect place for a zombie.
    Thoughts?  What would you do?

    -Jeremy