Re: 030 ignkeywords igetnet follow up

From: Ryan Yagatich (ryanyat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 10:48:13 PST

    It appears that the uninstaller does the following (at first glance)

    Removes the following files:
    	c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\winstart.exe
    	c:\program files\internet explorer\bho.dll
    	c:\progra~1\intern~1\bho.dll
    	c:\WinIE\winstart.exe
    	c:\WinIE\bho.dll
    	c:\WinIe\bho.dll

    	%windir%\system\winstart.exe
    	%windir%\system32\shell322.exe
    	%windir%\system32\IGNinstaller.exe
    	%windir%\system32\winstart.exe
    	%windir%\winfile2.dat
    	%windir%\system\rsp.dl
    	%windir%\system\bho.dll
    	%windir%\system32\bho.dll

    Removes the following registry keys:

    HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
    Helper Objects\{730F2451-A3FE-4A72-938C-FC8A74F15978}

    HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
    Helper Objects\{AA76C2D7-15A9-4E80-A942-191F02BDCA91}

    HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
    Helper Objects\{0740576F-730B-11D6-8A8B-0050BA8452C0}

    HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
    Helper Objects\{E6B67CDC-81F8-11D6-8A8C-0050BA8452C0}

    It then appears to modify:
    	%windir%\hosts or %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    	to remove the lines:
    		ieautosearch
    		search.netscape.com
    		auto.search.msn.com

    and finally, creates an uninstall log in %systemdrive%

    Like I mentioned, this is only a first glance, of it, and more is
    possible.

    <OPINION>
    In my experience, people that have these things installed on their systems
    are always 'i never installed it...'. Thats how some of these companies
    get their stuff on the target systems. Now, my theory is that everyone is
    so used to windows popping up on their screen that says 'are you sure you
    would like to save this' or 'are you really certain you would like to
    delete this file' or 'i know ive already popped up to ask you this
    question, but are you REALLY sure?', and while browsing figure 'Hey, its
    just one of those' and subconsciously click the yes button, or sometimes
    the OK button. This in turn allows certain vendors to use the MS ActiveX
    questions to their advantage because there are many people who "just click
    yes, even though they don't know what they are clicking". and by God, I'd
    even bet that they know that most of the people using their software don't
    really know about it, just for that same purpose.
    This clicking yes thing, the only real way to avoid it is to not have it
    pop up to begin with, which in that case can take away the functionality
    of legit traffic. In the meantime, I usually tell my clients to install
    zone alarm (or other personal firewall) to aide in protecting them. I also
    inform them about the whole clicking yes thing too. Zone Alarm kind of
    does the same thing 'internet access requested by "foo".., Yes/No'. What
    happens? people just click yes and say 'Yeah, i didnt know what it was
    talking about, so i just clicked on yes and hoped for the best. It then
    kept comming up with the same message, so i clicked on the 'dont ask me
    anymore' thingie...This just defeats the purpose of installing the
    personal firewall to begin with, which makes it almost a waste of my time
    to recommend it.
    So, we're back at square one again with 'how can i keep these people from
    clicking buttons'. You could take away all input devices and leave them
    with a monitor that is blinking 'don't touch that' in the corner, or you
    can take the approach of getting rid of the material so you don't have to
    trust them any further. Things like Zone Alarm, just do the same thing
    which can render them useless, which in turn puts you back to performing
    the suggestions previously mentioned in earlier posts.

    </OPINION>

    Thanks,
    Ryan Yagatich  <supportat_private>
            Pantek, Incorporated