Re: Proxy server hit... Any ideas?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 08:04:08 PST

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:04:18 MST, Russell Harding said:
    > about what is there (keep the 'pirates booty' if you wish :) ) But focus
    > on what to do about it.  You need to re-format your drive, start from
    > scratch with the machine _off_ the public internet until it is fully
    > patched.

    Of course, this begs the question of how to get the patches onto the system.
    Recently, one of my co-workers needed about 3 hours to download SP3, at a
    time when we were probably averaging a port 137 probe several times
    an hour (yes, per address, we had some 3M of them per day).

    So we're fast approaching the point (if we haven't long since passed it)
    where the average time to download the patches is less than the average
    time to get 0wned.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer