Re: Proxy server hit... Any ideas?

From: Etaoin Shrdlu (shrdluat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 07:07:18 PST

    Mike Cain wrote:

    > Yeah, the box came to me basically because the guy above me doesn't have
    > a clue about NT or about ANY security... Bad timing I guess or good
    > depending on how you look at it... I have just got back from meeting
    > with management to suggest some policies, now they want me to write an
    > IT policies handbook, guess I asked for that one huh? :)
    >
    > So where should I start looking for de-facto policies, and such? Or
    > should I just use my best judgment? I'm thinking the latter is a bad
    > idea because if one doesn't pan out, then they say, "Well... YOU wrote
    > them..." :)
    >
    > Again, thanks SO MUCH for all the responses. Groups like this make
    > learning the security scene A LOT less painful.

    There is a small, but useful book that you can purchase for a nominal sum
    from the SAGE portion of usenix.  I truly recommend it.

    http://sageweb.sage.org/resources/publications/short_topics.html

    It is short topics #2, entitled "A Guide to Developing Computing Policy
    Documents." I also recommend (for this group) the short topics booklets on
    "#6: A System Administrator's Guide to Auditing," and "#3: System Security:
    A Management Perspective," which are also useful to anyone in the security
    industry, regardless of experience level.

    --
    Only the mediocre are always at their best.
                    Jean Giraudoux