Re: Proxy server hit... Any ideas?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 09:20:11 PST

    On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:47:55 +0100, Toby Felgenner said:

    > If you don't trust automatic updates, don't bother reading any further
    > (then again, if you have 30,000 hosts how else are you going to do it?).

    We're a .edu.  That's why I'm laughing. ;)

    > Setup a protected server to get the updates from M$.  Then test the updates
    > in your test environment.  If the updates pass all your tests, then Approve
    > and distribute the updates to another internal SUS Server.  Your client
    > hosts then pick up the only the updates that you have approved from your
    > own internal SUS server.

    Preaching to the choir here. I've had test environments whenever possible
    since 1981 or so. (For bonus points - IBM's VM operating system originally
    was developed so multiple teams could test MVS releases on the same very
    expensive box, and not everybody came to a screeching halt when one team
    managed to crash things...)

    Yeah, 30K hosts in a *controlled* *corporate* environment using stuff like
    Group Policy to push updates and prohibit user changes to the software would
    be almost doable.  But if you think I wanna deal with the "Joe Freshman got
    a new XP system for Christmas" problem when the students get back in January...

    /Valdis