Re: Proxy server hit... Any ideas?

From: Toby Felgenner (felgennerat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 09:01:43 PST

    Software Update Services (SUS) may help you, see:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/susserver/default.asp

    or

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/susfaq.asp

    If you don't trust automatic updates, don't bother reading any further
    (then again, if you have 30,000 hosts how else are you going to do it?).

    Setup a protected server to get the updates from M$.  Then test the updates
    in your test environment.  If the updates pass all your tests, then Approve
    and distribute the updates to another internal SUS Server.  Your client
    hosts then pick up the only the updates that you have approved from your
    own internal SUS server.

    Trouble is, you need to have installed the Automatic Updates client
    software on all your Windows clients beforehand :-(
    It's available for Win2000 (included in SP3 but is also available
    separately) and WinXP but it's not available for WinNT :-(

                        Valdis.Kletnie

                        ksat_private            To:     Emeric Miszti
    <emericat_private>
                                             cc:
    incidentsat_private, (bcc: Toby Felgenner/ICC)
                        22-11-02 05:12       Subject:     Re: Proxy server
    hit... Any ideas?
                        AM

    On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:52:42 GMT, Emeric Miszti said:

    > 1) Ensure that you have an effective perimeter firewall that blocks all
    > incoming traffic to the new box

    Excuse me while I fall over laughing.  I have some 30K hosts on my network,
    and there's no really scalable way to say "OK, this box is about to be
    upgraded, disable its HTTP access to anything other than windowsupdate"
    and then 3 hours later "OK, let it talk to the rest of the web again".

    The rest of Emeric's points are quite good - but sometimes it's not as
    easy as it looks... ;)
    --
                                              Valdis Kletnieks
                                              Computer Systems Senior Engineer