Re: A small quandary

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 05:49:11 PST

    Paul,

    None of the entries seems overly malicious...actually,
    a couple of them are hardly original.  From the except
    you've provided, it looks as if a scan w/ any one of a
    number of scanners was conducted...one that isn't
    overly intelligent.  So...other than the scan, I don't
    see anything particularly malicious.

    If these are all "404"s, then I don't really see where
    the quandry is, nor do I see how an offensive would be
    mounted...

    /cgi-bin/publisher/search.cgi?dir=jobs&template=;cat+/etc/passwd|&output
    > _number=10

    *VERY* old attempt to cat the etc/passwd file.  This
    used to be searchable via AltaVista...use of shadowed
    password files obviated it.

    > /perl/ 1 -

    Attempt at Perl...

    > /cgi-bin/test-cgi.bat?|ver 1 -

    Attempt at a CGI script.

    > /scripts..%c1%9c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c:
    > 1 -

    /cgi-bin/mrtg.cgi?cfg=/../../../../../../../../../winnt/win.ini
    > 1 -

    /scripts/.%252e/.%252e/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c:\\

    Attempts at dir. transversal on IIS.

    > My question to everyone out there is would anyone be
    > able to tell me if
    > this kind of attack has the fingerprints of any
    > known software/viruses
    > in the field or is it a deliberate attempt to gain
    > access to my clients site?

    It's a scan, nothing more.  It would help if you'd
    been a little more clear on the response codes...but
    the attempts are obviously against a wide range of
    systems...the etc/passwd attempt, for example, *used*
    to work on Linux/*nix systems.  The last three entries
    are specific to IIS.  Whoever ran the scan didn't even
    bother to use a scanner intelligent enough to do
    banner grabbing in order to narrow down the os/web
    server of the target.

    Again, I don't see where the quandry lies, and I don't
    see any sort of "attack" in what you've posted.