RE: A small quandary

From: Rob Shein (shotenat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 07:57:06 PST

    If what you're asking is if it could be some way that he might not be
    aware of/responsible for this probe, the best and surest way to tell is
    to do forensics on the originating machine.  The ways in which this
    attack could (theoretically) be taking place without his knowledge are
    many, and if he would retaliate, your best defense is to have a solid
    body of evidence that he was responsible instead of a worm, trojan
    horse, backdoor or other user.  It sounds like you'll need to commit
    fully to the effort.  Personally, I would definitely consult an attorney
    who is familiar with cybercrime, and see about having the computer
    seized without warning for forensic analysis if at all possible.  Once
    that is accomplished, any claims about having been trojaned or the
    victim of a virus/worm can be proven or disproven with great reliability
    and integrity.