Re: netbios vuln

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 22:58:48 PST

    On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 06:50:02 PST, ohnononoat_private  said:

    > of netbios traffic at my main firewall.  This morning I read this article.  It
    > seems to hint at a way to run arbitarty code via netbios, now my question is do
    > es anyone know anything about this; is anyone seeing the netbios traffic and fi

    We were seeing on the order of 3 *million* probes/day on port 137 back at the
    beginning of October, thanks to Opaserv/Bugbear.  And I'm sure the port 135
    traffic was even higher, since the tools in use would only poke 137 if 135
    answered.  The joys of having 2 /16s hanging off an OC12.. ;)

    It's not *that* easy to run arbitrary code directly via netbios.  What usually
    happens is a scanning tool finds some victim who's got C:\ shared read/write
    to the world with no password or an Administrator password of 'password' or
    something equally silly.  So you mount the share, copy a trojan to it,
    set the registry entries that say "run me at each boot" and then wait for
    it to reboot....

    See the 'W4-NETBIOS -- Unprotected Windows Networking Shares' entry about this
    on the SANS Top 20:

    http://www.sans.org/top20/

    (And while you're there, make sure you're all square on the OTHER 19
    entries too).

    Disclaimer: I didn't get paid to help write the Top 20 - I just did it because
    the more people that fix it at their sites, the easier *my* job gets. ;)

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer