Re: EBay Fraud Attempt

From: jlewisat_private
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 20:45:22 PST

    This is definitely an attempt to socially engineer your credit card info,
    bank account info, and enough personal information to commit identity
    theft against anyone dumb enough to fill out the form (and I'm sure there
    are many suckers out there).  You should immediately forward a copy to at
    least the following:

    privacyat_private (don't know if this is the best contact, but it's all I
    found in a quick look at their site).  This is the sort of thing Ebay will
    sick their lawyers on for use of the ebay name.

    nocat_private (they're the tech contact for the IP block
    www.ebayupdates.com resolves to)

    domain.tech@YAHOO-INC.COM (they're the tech contact for the domain
    ebayupdates.com, which seems to be registered to some creep in Niceville,
    FL (which sounds fake, but actually exists)).

    It wouldn't hurt to try to notify the FBI and local Niceville police...but
    how much time to you want to spend on this?  Odds are, you'll have to
    place several calls and talk to multiple people before you find an
    agent/officer who understands what a website is and why this one is bad.
    If Ebay's security people return your message/call, maybe you can just ask
    tem if they'll push the right buttons to get the FBI to pickup the person
    responsible for the site.  They're likely going to be more familiar with
    what it takes to get some action.

     Jon Lewis *jlewisat_private*|  I route
     Atlantic Net                |