Re: EBay Fraud Attempt

From: Kee Hinckley (nazgulat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 22:17:28 PST

    >  > Hello All,
    >>	About 24 Hours ago I received an e-mail from "EBay Billing" with
    >>  the subject of "EBay Billing Error". However, I have not conducted any
    >  > transactions in months, so I became suspicious. The text of the e-mail

    Interesting.  This one hit us this weekend.  It was notable in part
    because it looked like a text message, which makes the link in it
    less suspicious.  Unfortunately for them, the site they hosted on set
    a cookie, so if you had cookie alerts turned on the IP address looked
    suspicious, and of course the URL in the header was bad.  The page
    itself was a copy of the ebay login page, and submitting your info
    would redirect you to the real ebay login page after grabbing the
    password information.

    I informed the hosting provider and they shut it down, but it was up
    for more than 24 hours.  I also sent mail to abuseat_private  I
    *hope* they have a way of mapping the referrer fields to the logins
    and can thus easily notify anyone who came into their site through
    the fake one, but I haven't heard back.

    --

    Kee Hinckley - Somewhere.Com, LLC
    http://consulting.somewhere.com/