abuse of open transparent proxies

From: horapeat_private
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 18:58:29 PST

    ¡Hola!

    I don't know if this is new or not, but couldn't find anything about this
    when googling.

    I've just found an interesting attack against a friend's transparent proxy.

    The proxy was set up so that any connection to port 80 was proxied (no acl's)

    There is some spammer, herbal-place.com, using DNS views to exploit the proxy.

    To everybody but the proxy, it says that www.herbal-place.com's address is the
    proxy's one. To the proxy, it answers with their true IP.

    Result: my friend pay the bandwidth for the spammers.

    They have an automated system controlling this (30 seconds after we close the
    proxy they changed to abuse a new one)

    Saludos,
    					HoraPe
    ---