Re: New CIFS (port 445) worm?

From: Zen (zen@kill-9.it)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 10:03:38 PST

    On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 08:30:13AM -0800, David Gillett wrote:

    	We're seeing a huge increase of tcp/445 scans on our networks
    	too. For the moment, I just opened the port on my firewall to
    	permit them through to a machine running tcpdump to capture all
    	that's possible, to do further investigation.

    >   My assumption, at this point, is that those two machines
    > (and a bunch more out on the Internet) have been infected
    > with something.  The choice of port 445 suggests Win 2000/XP
    > file shares as the infection vector.

    	I agree. I hope you've not wiped out the machines, as it would
    	be interesting to see what, and how, is acting so to reproduce
    	it and check by ourselves.

    bye,
    --
    My home isn't cluttered; it's "passage restrictive."
    zen@kill-9.it . Geek . And proud of it .