Re: Random unprivileged TCP ports below 5000 kind-of open for a fraction of a second

From: alfaentomega (alfaentomegaat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 00:52:26 PST

    --- Pavel Kankovsky <peakat_private> wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, alfaentomega wrote:
    >
    > Hypothesis: one of the services listening on your machine opens a
    > short-lived listening sockets on an automatically assigned port (ie.
    > in 1024-5000 range) when it accepts a connection. This would explain
    > why SYN scan does not trigger it but connect() scan does.
    >
    > Try this:
    >   for each port p in 1-1023
    >      perform a connect() scan of p and 1024-5000
    >
    > Only a small set of p, perhaps a single value of p--the hypothetic
    > offending service (see above)--should make the mysterious listening
    > port appear.

    Actually, when I figured out that those ports are always above 1024 and
    below 5000, as I've said in my post, I started scanning only this
    range, and every time the results were similar. And the only service
    listening on my host is nullidentd.

    But now I know what I was observing, see Fyodor's answer:
    <20021224191816.GA10153at_private>

    Thanks.
    -Alfaentomega.