Re: RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

From: Greg Barnes (gregat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 12:05:54 PST

    And so I learn!!

    BTW - HUGE thanks for the clarification on ethics.

    More comments inline.

    JDD> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Greg Barnes wrote:

    >> JDD> Such a practice strikes me as teleologically ethical[1].  A system
    >>
    >> Technologically Ethical?  Is that like 'technically honest' but not
    >> honest by any other definition?

    JDD>         No.  There are two primary camps in ethics: deontological and
    JDD> teleological.  Deontological holds that all ethical constructs are
    JDD> absolute and unwavering, regardless of circumstance.  These rules are
    JDD> typically given to humanity by a deity or some other authority.
    JDD> Teleological ethics holds that all ethical proscriptions arise from value
    JDD> assessments of undesirable consequences that come from unethical actions.
    JDD> Teleological ethics also hold that the quality of an otherwise seeming
    JDD> transgression is mitigated by both intent and outcome.

    JDD>         To bust it down in the simplest terms for an example: it is wrong
    JDD> to lie.  But if I was harboring Jews from the Nazis during WWII and the
    JDD> Nazis asked me if I had seen any Jews and I told them I hadn't, then I
    JDD> would have lied.  That lie, while deontologically unethical, was
    JDD> teleologically ethical.

    Again, thanks for the clarification.  And now that I understand the
    difference between the two ethical camps, I know enough to know
    that I will be more careful when answering questions regarding
    the ethics of an action/inaction in the future.

    >> JDD> is being abused and we recipient systems are paying the canonical
    >> JDD> price for it.  And since we bear the cost of someone else's
    >> JDD> irresponsibility, we have both the right and the responsibility to
    >> JDD> pick up the slack created by the other party so that other systems
    >> JDD> do not receive the same net.abuse ours have.
    >>
    >> This would be true if you represented an extension of law enforcement.

    JDD>         Actually, your assessment is inaccurate.  Law enforcement is far
    JDD> more constrained in their sanctioned actions than the laity.  I, for
    JDD> example, can engage in dumpster diving at will to find information I need.
    JDD> Law enforcement cannot do so without the blessing of the courts.

    And this is precisely because it is illegal.  I'm not a lawyer
    (or an ethics expert !clearly!) but perusing other people's
    property appears to fall into one of the camps you describe
    earlier...So, I have to ask myself, by what standard, and by
    whom will I be judged?

    And that's the standard I will apply (I'm assuming only one
    will apply here, and if more than one applies, I have to make
    a value judgement right?).

    >> JDD> The only thing that would color such a practice as even remotely
    >> JDD> unethical would be later utilization of such findings for the
    >> JDD> purpose of further spamming or other nefarious conduct.
    >>
    >> Who defines nefarious?

    JDD>         Simple.  Anything you'd do that would not make your mother proud.
    JDD> ;)  But seriously, we don't need to define was 'is' is here.  Nefarious is
    JDD> simply a cute word I use to entail further net.abuse.

    >> The rule of law defines it.  And there are agencies established for the
    >> purpose of enforcing the law.

    JDD>         And while many an agent in said agencies are good people doing
    JDD> good work, the reality is that agencies are bureaucracies.  And as
    JDD> bureaucracies, they move at a positively glacial pace...and with the rapid
    JDD> pace of the 'net, their involvement is not simply impractical, it's
    JDD> counterproductive.  The net.realities of today have simply outpaced the
    JDD> laws provided by the legislature.  Thus, relying on old (and increasingly
    JDD> archaic) laws and agencies for definition and handling of genuine
    JDD> net.realities is kludgy at best, silly at worst.

    >> JDD> As a rule, when my systems are spammed via an open relay, I do
    >> JDD> indeed perform open relay tests on the offending system to confirm
    >> JDD> that the relayed spam is genuine or trivially spoofed[2].  With
    >> JDD> those findings,
    >>
    >> So how does one justify any scanning beyond that which is required to
    >> determine the source of a problem in the course of one's day to day
    >> duties

    JDD>         All scanning is done from a "rule out" standpoint.  I rule out
    JDD> other possible explanations [spoofing, forgery, misconfigured MTA data] as
    JDD> it pertains to the spam that appears to have come from an open relay or
    JDD> proxy and then gather the data.  Once that's done, a fairly clear picture
    JDD> of what's what has emerged.

    Ahh, so we're on the same page.  We're not talking about
    scanning 65k ports then (for example)...I guess I misunderstood.

    >> and furthermore with the end goal of notifying the cognizant authority
    >> of the offense?

    JDD>         Whenever my systems are attacked, I take it upon myself to
    JDD> accumulate all evidence necessary to present to the cognizant admin of the
    JDD> offending system.  My reasons are twofold: first, they can use the
    JDD> information to compare to their own logs (rather than go on a large
    JDD> fishing expedition), and that saves time; second, I've met more than my
    JDD> fair share of "admins" who couldn't find their butt with both hands.
    JDD> Those folks need a *lot* of hand-holding in order to bring the net.abuse
    JDD> to a conclusion.

    >> JDD> I file my reports with the cognizant admins and/or upstream
    >> JDD> providers so that an end may be put to that nonsense.
    >>
    >> All well and good, but again - to what end, the additional scanning?

    JDD>         I'm not sure what you mean.  I don't keep on scanning every system
    JDD> that's poked, prodded or spammed mine after I've gathered the information
    JDD> I require.  Hell, if I did that, I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

    heheheh.  So let it be written then.  Thanks for the response!!

    JDD> - -Jay

    JDD>    ))   ))   .-"There's always time for a good cup of coffee."-.   >====<--.
    JDD>  C|~~|C|~~| (>------ Jay D. Dyson - jdysonat_private ------<) |    = |-'
    JDD>   `--' `--'  `How about a 10-day waiting period on YOUR rights?'  `------'

    -

    Regards,

    Greg

    PGP Fingerprint:
    723E 7CAD 4EF5 D904 1EE8  5279 71A5 A594 E6A7 C48E