Re: RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

From: tcleary2at_private
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 17:59:17 PST

    Greg Barnes said:

    >And this is precisely because it is illegal.  I'm not a lawyer
    >(or an ethics expert !clearly!) but perusing other people's
    >property appears to fall into one of the camps you describe
    >earlier...So, I have to ask myself, by what standard, and by
    >whom will I be judged?

    Greg,

    IANAL.

    But back when I was a police officer in the UK, the definition of burglary
    was when a person "enters property as a trespasser with the intent to
    commit an arrestable offence <other stuff dropped>"

    Now there are definitions for what property is, what trespass is and what
    an arrestable offence is ( as well as intent ) and if it fits, one could
    arrest for burglary.

    And believe me ( because I had jobs that fit this description ) going into
    an unlocked house and looking around is trespass ( civil tort ) not
    burglary ( crime ), unless the accused admits he was going in to
    steal/damage/commit arson etc. etc.

    Applying analogies for laws which anyone above a three year old can get
    away with by simply not telling the truth ( and don't get me started about
    how hard it is to prove "handling stolen goods" ) to anything on the
    Internet is not sane practice.

    Move on, nothing to see, here.

    Regards,

    tom.

    P.S. I am also grateful to Jay for the philosophy lesson. Any pointers to
    sites on formal logic? -tcy
    Security Consultant/Analyst
    CSC
    Ph: +61 8 9429 6478    Email: tcleary2at_private
    This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the
    addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and
    may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
    contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose
    other than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the
    intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
    in it. In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the
    message permanently from your system and destroy any copies.