Re: RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

From: Stephen P. Berry (spbat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 13:08:50 PST

    Jay D. Dyson writes:

    >Such a practice strikes me as teleologically ethical[-].  A system
    >is being abused and we recipient systems are paying the canonical price
    >for it.  And since we bear the cost of someone else's irresponsibility, we
    >have both the right and the responsibility to pick up the slack created by
    >the other party so that other systems do not receive the same net.abuse
    >ours have.

    I don't see how any of this follows necessarily.  Let's break your
    comments down into individual contentions:

    	1)	If a system is sending spam, recipient systems are
    		being done some wrong
    	2)	Those having such a wrong done to them are given:
    		a)	The right to react;  and
    		b)	The obligation to react
    	3)	Such a reaction involves (for example) scanning the
    		system sending the spam

    A case could certainly be made for all of these points.  I think it is
    also true that a case could be made -against- any of these points, and
    no general consensus exists on any of them, with the -possible- exception
    of the first.

    Further, framing this rationale as an assertion of teleological ethicality
    suggests that in addition to making the case for the propositions outlined
    above, you can make a case that the result (i.e., reciprocal scanning of
    spam relays) can be construed as somehow maximising the general good.  This
    latter is a particularly tricky notion, and is after all at the heart of
    the -bulk- of professional ethics.  So I'm not sure how identifying
    that you're attempting to make an evaluation in terms of teleological
    ethics adds any weight to the argument.

    In other words, you're saying that reciprocal scanning aids the general
    good.  But that's a claim that could be made (and frequently is) for
    virtually -any- action whose ostensible goal is to right some wrong.
    Merely saying that's what you're doing (or attempting to do) doesn't
    mean that's what you're doing.  More on this in a bit.

    >The only thing that would color such a practice as even remotely
    >unethical would be later utilization of such findings for the purpose of
    >further spamming or other nefarious conduct.

    I really can't see it.  If anything, I think the _prima facie_ case is
    the other way around:  We generally acknowledge that scanning systems
    without the owner's permission is wrong;  and we generally acknowledge that
    ethical practise of a profession involves not intentionally doing what
    the practicioner knows to be wrong.  Further, I'd say that we generally
    subscribe to the idea that if we are done a wrong, this does not justify
    our doing a wrong to the one who wronged us (contradicting what you
    contend in item 2 above).

    Again, I'm not suggesting that it -isn't- ethical.  I just think that
    it certainly isn't clear that it -is- ethical, as you appear to be
    suggesting.  And, all other things being equal, I tend to think that
    professional ethical behaviour should be construed fairly narrowly.  In
    other words, if you have to spend more than a couple minutes explaining
    why something really is ethical, it probably isn't.

    Returning to my earlier `Mafia' example:  If some guy in an expensive suit
    shows up right after you scan the Corleone's network, you -don't- want to
    have to explain to the guy in the suit who shows up on your doorstep
    why it was really okay because their MTA was an open relay.

    - -spb

    - -----
    - -	Dereferencing pointer to invalid footnote.