Mysterious "Support" account created on Win2k server

From: Ostfeld, Thomas (tostfeldat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 12:33:54 PST

    One of my web servers appears to have had an intrusion.  The box is Win2k
    Advanced Server, SP3, up to date on all security patches.  I first became
    aware of a problem when the main website hosted on the box became
    inaccessible.  Checking the machine, I discovered that the Local Security
    Policy had been altered as to remove the Everyone and Local Administrators
    group from "Access this machine from the network" policy  In place was a
    single local account called "Support" that I did not recognize.

    Looking into the accounts database, I discovered this account with a
    description of "Built in account for providing user support."  It was also
    part of the administrators group.  Needless to say, this looked suspicious,
    so I locked the server back down and set up intrusion detection to look for
    further attempts to exploit the account.

    I know approximately when the attack occurred, but I am still puzzled as to
    how it was done.  The web logs show the usual IIS root exploit attempts, but
    those all fail.  Everything else looks normal.  I've scoured the machine
    pretty thoroughly for bots, trojans, viruses, hidden and altered files, and
    have so far come up empty.  No weird open ports either.

    Has anyone seen this before?  There is one or two postings of the same
    nature on Google, but little else to give me something to go on.

    Tom Ostfeld
    Knowledge Impact
    Ostfeld7 (AIM)