RE: MS IIS 5 server is hacked leaving undeletable folders and files

From: Willsey, Rob (CCI-Omaha) (Rob.Willseyat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 09:33:28 PST

    Try this.

    NOTE : POSIX commands are case sensitive. Drives and folders are referenced differently than in MS-DOS. Windows 2000 POSIX commands must use the following usage syntax:
    posix /c <path\command> [<args>] IE: posix /c c:\rm.exe -d AUX.

    Usage assumes Rm.exe is either in the path, or the current folder:
    rm -d // driveletter / path using forward slashes / filename
    For example, to remove a file or folder named COM1 (located at C:\Program Files\Subdir in this example), type the following command:
    rm -d "//C/Program Files/Subdir/COM1"
    To remove a folder and its entire contents (C:\Program Files\BadFolder in this example), type the following command:
    rm -r "//C/Program Files/BadFolder"
    Another option is to use a syntax that bypasses the normal reserve-word checks altogether. For example, you can possibly delete any file with a command such as:
    DEL \\.\ driveletter :\ path \ filename
    For example:
    DEL \\.\c:\somedir\aux

    Rob Willsey
    Hardware and Software Applications Support
    Cox Communications
    Omaha, NE 68154
    MCSA, MCSE
    (402)934-0291