RE: PDL anti-spam blacklist

From: Christopher Wagner (chriswat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 10:17:09 PST

    John Paul,

    	The possibilities are many, but the most likely are as such..
    1) The previous owner of your IPs (not knowing how long you've had these
    IPs), did some naughty things with them and got those IPs blacklisted..  I'd
    contact your ISP and just get a different block of IPs if this is the case.
    2) They have a legitimate concern about your IP block, do you have a mail
    server running on your network?  Are you absolutely certain it is not an
    open relay or has a hole that allows open relays?  Abuse.net has a excellent
    tool for checking this. http://www.abuse.net/relay.html  If you did have an
    open relay, repairing it should raise your grace in the eyes of the
    blacklist operator.
    3) Looking at the URL provided..  It looks like they're not a list of open
    proxies or relays..  They seem to be just keeping track of dialups and
    broadband IPs to reduce the amount of spam coming from those addresses since
    many spammers use them to email spam using their own mail server instead of
    using their ISP's mail server to attempt to circumvent their ISP's anti-spam
    policies.  They provide an email address on their website and instructions
    for removal.  It seems pretty simple to me.
    http://www.pan-am.ca/pdl/removing.html

    I wish you luck,

    - Christopher Wagner
    chriswat_private

    Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
    P.O. Box 9144
    San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
    http://www.pacaids.com/
    (415) 454-4868 x116