RE: Mysterious "Support" account created on Win2k server

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 11:10:34 PST

    --- kyleat_private wrote:
    > port 445 worm/virus/Trojans are the ones spread via
    > SMB over TCP, port 445,
    > using "net use \\[machine]\ipc$.  The Trojans
    > include password dictionaries
    > for guessing admin ids and passwords.

    However, that doesn't address the creation of the
    account...it only addresses the fact that Scott had a
    typo in his post.

    [snip]

    Uhm...no, he wouldn't.  He'd have to use "net
    user"..."net use" does NOT allow for the creation of
    accounts.  Could be a typo, I know, but the difference
    of one letter is significant.

    > ...daemon with an innocuous
    > looking name like winasp,
    > lsasss.exe, wimlogon.exe or something else that
    > looks close to actual legit processes.

    While "wimlogon" may look close to legit, I would hope
    that admins are smart enough that seeing that will
    raise the hackles on the backs of their necks.  In
    fact, the process can be running w/ a legit name, like
    "svchost.exe", but using tools like listdlls.exe will
    show that the executable image is located in a
    directory other than system32.

    > I would check to verify that all the accounts have
    > appropriately significant passwords on them.

    Would you suggest using L0phtcrack?

    > Also, I would check the event log to see
    > if there is a gapping hole in time where logged
    > entries do not exist any more.

    Wouldn't this really depend on what exactly is being
    logged?  If auditing isn't enabled and there are no
    significant apps that log to the EventLog (a/v, for
    example) then there can be days or weeks between
    entries.

    > This is the first i have seen exactly like this, but
    > it is similar enough
    > to ones i have been fighting on campus for the past
    > few months to call it coincidence.

    I wouldn't call it a coincidence, Scott, I'd call it
    the nature of the beast when it comes to a campus.

    To Thomas,

    > > I know approximately when the attack occurred, but
    > I am still puzzled
    > as to
    > > how it was done.  The web logs show the usual IIS
    > root exploit
    > attempts, but
    > > those all fail.  Everything else looks normal.
    > I've scoured the
    > machine
    > > pretty thoroughly for bots, trojans, viruses,
    > hidden and altered
    > files, and
    > > have so far come up empty.  No weird open ports
    > either.

    I wish we knew more about what you did to scour the
    machine, and what tools you used.  By understanding
    your methodology and tools, perhaps an error would be
    uncovered, or a better way recommended.  Too many
    times, I've seen admins modify data *before* accessing
    it, simply b/c they didn't know.

    When you say "no weird open ports", what do you mean?
    Did you run fport?  If so, what did it find?  Netcat
    renamed to "inetinfo.exe" and bound to port 80 isn't
    "weird" at all...but is a remote shell nonetheless.