Thanks everyone! RE: MS IIS 5 server is hacked leaving undeletable folders and files

From: Don Phillipe (donphillipeat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 12:00:34 PST

    Thank you everyone!  What an overwhelming response this team has provided
    me.  I received over 40 answers to my query and I would like to thank
    everyone for your kindly provided time to resolve this.  Below is and
    outline of the progression and a brief response to some of the answers I
    received.  I do see now that I neglected to state that the volume was NTFS,
    so that may have been the reason I received so many answers regarding how to
    delete the file with DOS (which didn't work, received "access denied".  The
    information about a security tab missing could have been misleading, but in
    reality it was from the hacker directories; and although I have limited
    experience, I am not sure how a hacker can create NTFS directories without
    one, but it happened for sure.

    In brief:

    - most said to use DOS to delete (received "access denied")
    - many pointed to MS document on how to delete (did not have access to
    RM.EXE from resource kit and the RMDIR \\.\D:temp\UPLOAD /s also failed with
    "access denied")
    - tried to FTP back into myself to delete the directory (received "access
    denied")
    - one suggested to run Norton Utilities to fix (could not get Norton to
    install since it is a "server")
    - one pointed to in-depth MS Knowledge base and asked how long I looked
    (none of MS tips worked either)  Note: I am not sure what I did wrong with
    my search argument during this and past times, but most "tips" I find from
    these pages are found from Google and the same search on MS search engine
    produces nothing.  However, I do feel obligated to answer this question, I
    looked about 14 hours (enough for my wife to get really mad for missing some
    of Christmas with the in-laws ;-)) but the biggest problem was not knowing
    what kind of "illness" I had.  (I know much more now, thanks to everyone
    here.)
    - since I was able to stop all applications using this virtual drive, I
    finally gave up, formatted and restored from last backup
    - still trying to figure out if I should go for a complete system re-install
    but plan to watch it and the logs for the next weeks (thank goodness for the
    noisy hard drive and flashing lights on my hub that alerted me to the
    "violation" in the first place

    Again, thanks to you all and have a prosperous new year!!!
    Don