Re: Root password changed

From: Chris Barford (C.Barfordat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 13:31:01 PST

    you mention apache running:
    "openssl-too-open is a remote exploit for the KEY_ARG overflow in
    OpenSSL 0.9.6d and older. It will give you a remote shell with the
    priviledges of the server process (nobody when used against Apache,
    root against other servers)."

    works against apache servers, u dont specify specifically but it would be my
    guess that this could be the hole in your system.

    However there are also BIND exploits out there, don't have a clue about them.

    The way to check is see if your apache leaves port 443 open, and if so look at
    your version of openssl.

    As for the logs and no suspicious processes;

    The chances are a rootkit could have been installed to hide the hackers
    movements, or he came in, changed the pass and then left again after using a
    log cleaner. You can recover logs in various ways, google is always a good one
    or someone on this list can help more with that no doubt.

    Check for odd dates or sizes on ps. A good place to go to see if you have
    been "rooted" is: www.chkrootkit.org.

    My personal tip would be take your computer off the network asap and then do a
    thorough analysis with it isolated.