Re: Root password changed

From: Lisa Casey (lisaat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 11:36:45 PST

    Hi,

    This may be too simplistic of an answer, but it actually happened here.  We
    are an ISP, and one of my employees went to change an users password while
    she was su'ed to root, but she neglected to specify the customers username.
    Instead she typed passwd then the new password. Sure enough, she changed the
    root password instead of the customers password. Could you have been
    changing a user password on the system and inadvertantly have changed the
    root password instead?

    Lisa Casey
    Webmaster & SysAdmin
    Netlink 2000, Inc.